Partly-printed vellum DS as president, one page, 13.25 x 15, May 3, 1800. President Adams, "in consideration of military service performed by Christopher Tompkins (a Subaltern for three years) to the United States, in the Virginia Line on Continental Establishment," grants a plot of land "containing One thousand six hundred sixty six and two thirds acres situate between the Little Miami and Sciota Rivers, north-west of the River Ohio." Boldly and beautifully signed at the conclusion by President John Adams, and neatly countersigned by Secretary of State Timothy Pickering. The white paper seal affixed to the lower left remains intact. In fine condition, with some trivial loss along the intersecting folds. Accompanied by an engraved portrait bearing a facsimile signature.
The land referred to here, known as the Virginia Military District (in what is now Ohio), consisted of a tract in the southwestern part of the state that contained more than four million acres. General George Washington had enticed residents to join the Continental Army by offering them large bounties in land in exchange for either three years of service, or the duration of the war. After the Revolution, state officials used the land to award claims to veterans in exchange for their military service. By this document, the heir of Christopher Tompkins received his rightful plot.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.