Excessively rare partly-printed DS as president, one page, 15.75 x 10, July 25, 1864. President Lincoln grants 120 acres of land in Omaha, Nebraska, to "Hannah S. C. Super, widow of John Super, Private, Captain Conkey's Company, Maryland Militia, War 1812." The document goes on to note that the property has been assigned to Rezin W. Shawhan. Boldly signed at the conclusion by President Lincoln, and countersigned by Acting Recorder of the General Land Office Martin Buell. The printed "By Sec'y" text below Lincoln's signature has been struck through, signifying that the president himself signed the document—a highly unusual occurrence. The embossed white paper seal affixed to the lower left remains fully intact. Docketing on the reverse indicates that the land patent was filed for record on May 31, 1880. In very good to fine condition, with intersecting folds and scattered foxing.
The rather mundane presidential practice of signing land grants was discontinued in 1833 during Andrew Jackson's second term, when Congress passed a law authorizing the president to appoint a special secretary to sign land patents on his behalf. It is therefore incredibly rare to find an authentically signed land grant from later on. This is just the second Lincoln-signed land grant we have ever encountered, and our research suggests that these are the only two to ever appear at public auction. The vast majority of land grants issued during the Lincoln administration were signed by William O. Stoddard, who was specifically appointed for the task on July 15, 1861. An incredibly desirable presidential autograph on a virtually unheard of document format.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.