Partly-printed vellum DS as president, one page, 14.5 x 8.75, September 3, 1812. President Madison grants "James Baxter of Hamilton County…the south east quarter of section Twenty three of township Ten in range One (West of the merid'n line) of the land directed to be sold at Cincinnati by the act of Congress, entitled 'An act providing for the sale of the lands of the United States in the Territory north west of the Ohio, and above the mouth of Kentucky river.'" Signed neatly at the conclusion by President Madison, and countersigned by Commissioner of the General Land Office Edward Tiffin. Lower left corner bears the original General Land Office seal. In very good to fine condition, with light soiling, an extra vertical fold, and a small hole above the words "Know Ye." The James Baxter House is a historic residence in the village of Amberley, Ohio, near Cincinnati. Built in the 1800s and expanded in the 1930s, the Baxter House was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1994, qualifying because of its historically significant architecture.
Terms and abbreviations used in our descriptions.